Saturday, May 24, 2008

Another Saturday Night~~~

Remember that song? "Another Saturday night & I ain't got nobody, I got some money cause I just got paid"?


I love the old songs from the 60's. And the 70's. Especially the 60's. I was 5 in 1960, and had already developed a love for music. And I remember nearly ALL the songs of the 60's. There was something really special about that music. Before Acid Rock. Before Woodstock. It seemed like such a simple time.



I remember listening to the radio on Saturdays. Wishing I was grown up and could drive. And could go out with my pals. Instead, I watched Petticoat Junction and let mom put those stupid pink foam rollers in wet hair for Sunday School. Use your imagination--you KNOW how cute the hair do was!!!


And now, it's Saturday night. It's almost 10 and I'm about ready for bed. You've come a long way baby! The last 40 years have FLOWN by. I did get to drive, got in all kinds of trouble, got married, raised kids, and stayed up way late. And now, well, another Saturday night.


TV didn't get much better tho. The shows of the 60's and early 70's had to be the best! I loved My Three Sons, Petticoat Junction, the Carol Burnett Show, Mannix, Mary Tyler Moore, Bob Newhart. The best writing ever---we'll never see that again. I don't care how good it may get, it'll never be that good---and simple.


Did anyone see the cast of Mary Tyler Moore on Oprah? In a way, it makes me sad to see reunions---they are all so OLD!!! And some have had way too much surgery & botox. They didn't even really seem that happy to see each other. When they hugged, it was the perfuntory, "don't hug too close" hug. That makes it even worse! Who wants to know they aren't close? That they didn't stay BFF? Talk about popping the bubble! I want them to drop by each other's homes for Sunday breakfast, raise their kids together, tell each other secrets, borrow clothes or at least sugar! I was really disappointed when I found out that Ethel & Fred from "I Love Lucy" actually HATED each other. It takes away from what one can believe!!! How can I continue to live in a fairy tale land when the fairies are ogres???



Ok, well so much for another Saturday night!



Hope you all have a happy Memorial Day Weekend. Be careful and stop to think about all those gone and not forgotten.


Eat well and prosper! (a little creative liberty!)

1 comment:

Kari (GrannySkywalker) said...

I haven't thought about Mannix in forever! What was that other show? The one with the fat guy, William Conrad, I think was his name....Cannon! That was it. Did you ever watch that, too? I used to love the "detective" shows. They're probably why I read so many who-done-it books today. My absolute favorite was a show that only ran for maybe a season or a season and a half. Ellery Queen starring Jim Hutton. Man, I loved that show! I looked it up on DVD last year and they wanted about $100 for it! Pitiful. Then I looked up The Paper Chase from the late '70's. It starred John Houseman - I loved that show. I guess it went to Showtime after it was cancelled on network tv but I didn't have Showtime so missed it all. They want about $100 for it on DVD, too. How can I wax nostaglic if they make it too expensive???? lol

Oh well...back to present day reality...

Hope you and yours have a wonderful Memorial Day. Celebrate the brave who have made this the home of the free!

Kari