Wednesday, January 23, 2008

My Sweet Niece


Ok, so it's Wednesday, which means I just finished feeding 100 people, and I got a brain flash!!! I was reading on Phyllis Renee's blog, and noticed she had a poll--the question was "did you have an imaginary friend as a child". Well, no I didn't, BUT it reminded me of my niece's imaginary friend when she was 4 (she's now 19). She had these two imaginary friends, Rocky & Jutin--that's right, Jutin, no s. Rocky & Jutin actually lived in Oklahoma City with their grandmother, but sometimes they would spend the night in her closet, or sometimes they would spend the night in her trees outside. But, they always came to visit at least 2 or 3 times a week. One day she & I were talking about them, what they looked like, etc., and I told her that Rocky was a pretty common name, but I hadn't heard "Jutin" before. I asked her if he was perhaps foreign. She put her hands on her hips, looked me in the eye with a very stern look, and said, "No Aunt Pam, Jutin is NOT foreign---he is fiven!" I nearly cracked up!!!


Another time she went with my son & me to get him a new gerbal--again, she was around 5. On the ride home, we were talking about naming the gerbal. I suggested the name "Barney" as we had just recently seen the movie with the little whatever they are things, Barney & Bianca. My son said "no, I'm not naming it Barney; it'll remind me of Barney Fife". To which my brilliant niece replied "Yea, don't name it Barney Fife, name it Barney Sixf!"


She continues to delight us to this day. She is a drama queen deluxe (takes after her Aunt Pam), and when she tells a story, you'd better have a couple of hours to listen cause you're going to get every stinkin detail of the story--from what someone ate while the story took place, to what she was thinking during the event!!! We have even been known to put her on a "word limit" when she starts talking!!!


Anyway, my niece is one light of my life---I absolutely ADORE her, and she is such fun to have around. She certainly keeps us on our toes. She's now in college, and is going into nursing---believe me, when she has patients, they'll get better just to keep from hearing her long winded stories! hee hee hee


And, hey Kari, it's about time you quit making pies and got back to blogging!!! That Kari has such a cutie patootie dog, Sydney---go check him out at Just Livin Large. I don't think Sydney is an "only child" but I never see pics of Blu!!!


Enough rambling---gotta rest for the cooking marathon ahead this week!

You all have a great weekend!!!

3 comments:

tommie said...

she sounds alot like my little girl!

nene P said...

Cook away sista... I will be you wing man and have your back at Dresser Mansion. See ya.
She is just the sweetest little angel this side of the Mississippi River and a hoot too, Just one of our petite YAYA's.

Kari (GrannySkywalker) said...

Hey - I'm trying to get back. Just did a big, long, political rant that's sure to cost me friends. But what the heck. I felt the urge to rant so I did. lol

I have a niece that I absolutely adore, too. She's a Christmas nut like me and she's a big mouth like me and she's a smart mouth like me. It drives my brother-in-law (her dad) insane. Which is an added bonus. ha

And as far as pictures of Blu... He and I are not on speaking terms. At all. He bit my daughter on her arm. Sure, she doesn't live here anymore, but she's still a part of the family and Chows are NOT supposed to go after members of their family. That's what the breeders claim, anyway. But since he made the mistake of biting her for no particular reason, I refuse to embrace him as our family pet. (Can you tell that this is a speech I've made frequently to my husband????). Seriously, I really have no use for a dog that will bite a family member. It scares me. I just don't know what to do with him now. Most no-kill shelters won't take in Chows and I don't think I can see him put down. So for now, I just keep him away from people except for Randey and I. I hope a solution presents itself soon (and hopefully without anyone else getting bitten!).