Wednesday, May 14, 2008

Wednesday Musings

This was at Kelsi's birthday party a few weeks back--Hank was sooo good & even let us take his picture. He hates having his picture taken, and so won't look at the camera--usually he turns his head. But on this night, when he had his new truck from Cars (notice in his hand) he was pretty easy.
This is Hank's mother, my baby, on the same night. She's such a sweetie, and too thin!!! ha ha She's such a good mother---Hank is one lucky boy!
And here's a pic of me & sis. Ain't she cute? She gets her coloring from Mom and me from Dad---she says she's taller than me but she's not!! However, she is thinner and a much healthier eater!!! And she's a runner, so she's in better shape. Other than that~~~we're about the same--ha ha.
We have such fun together!!! I couldn't ask for a better sister. And I'm so glad we live near each other so we can enjoy life together!!!




Now, tonight was the last Wednesday meal at church until September. I'm really gonna miss it!! I love cooking each week, and seeing all the people enjoy the sweat of my brow. And tonight I really got the compliments!! It was just ham, peas, rice pilaf, salad, rolls. Oh--and the big winner: banana upside down cake. YUMMY!!! A new recipe I found and I will definitely use it again and again!!! Here's what you do:
Yellow cake mix, prepared as directed on package with 2 tsp banana
extract added.
Grease & flour 9x13 pan. Melt 1/4 cup butter & mix in 1/2 cup brown
sugar. Pour into bottom of pan and spread around. Top with pecans
and 2 sliced bananas.
Bake at 350 for 40 minutes, or until toothpick inserted into cake
comes out clean. Immediately turn out onto platter.
Really really good.



Bad news for me: the health inspector turned down my church kitchen as a commercial prep area. Boo Hoo. Too many "co-mingling" issues. And the drain from the ice machine isn't what they require. And they didn't like the ceiling tile. And --- well, and, I'm out of the catering business. Now don't tell, but I will continue to do my cakes word of mouth. And I may even do some receptions, anniversaries, etc., word of mouth. But if you tell anybody, I swear I'll say you're lying!!! I just can't give it up completely. I'll just slow waaayyy down.


I do still get to keep my Wednesday evening job. Health Inspector From The Eternal Fire Pit said they view churches as "family atmospheres". And they leave them be. So I can still cook for them. Whew. I'd hate to give that up. So would the congregation!!! What would all those people do for food and nourishment on Wednesdays??? Who would keep them supplied with high calorie, high fat food??? Who would clog their arteries on a weekly basis like I do??? They DO have all summer to cleanse their internal selves from the damage done this past winter! ha ha ha But in my 7 years of cooking, I have not seen ONE person come back in September gaunt and malnourished. I don't know what they're doing all summer or who's feeding them, but they return like swine to the trough.


Well, gotta run for now. Mr. Sandman calls. And I'm ready to answer.

Bye & Sweet Dreams.

2 comments:

tommie said...

Too bad about your catering! I have tried a couple of your recipes and they were divine.

Slow down and enjoy...

Kari (GrannySkywalker) said...

Okay, new rule: you are no longer allowed to post recipes that will cause me to rush out and buy the necessary ingredients to cook something that will only make my arse 3 times its already ungainly size! But man...that banana upside down cake sounds great!

Sorry about your catering biz. I know how much that means to you. Maybe something will change one of these days and you'll get to realize your dream after all. Don't stop hoping!

Kari