Tuesday, October 7, 2008

Owww Owww OOO Ouch!!!


If this is the backside of a "hurting" tooth, then it is mine! Yesterday, as I drove home from the grocery store, I reached into my purse, took out a piece of sugar free SOFT gum, unwrapped the stick, slipped it into my mouth and WHAM!!!! Boulders!!! The first small "chew" and BOULDERS came tumbling onto my tongue. My first thought was "what the heck . . . . ". I immediately stopped the chewing, and luckily, I was the only car at a stop sign, so I spit the entire contents of my mouth into my hand. Jeepers!!! There was the gum and two ginormous pieces of something white and hard! It took a moment for it to sink in-----that was my TOOTH!!! I just sat there looking at the pieces, trying to make sense of it all. Finally, I ran my tongue over that area and OUCH--jagged edges!!! The remaining tooth didn't hurt, but the jagged edge sliced through my tongue.
Now, several years ago, I worked as a dental assistant, so I knew a bit about what to look for in the mirror. And it wasn't there!!! The molar had broken off on the inside all the way down to the gumline. And from distal to meisial. You dentistry people know that means front to back!! And it wasn't good!!!
Got on the cell phone immediately (thank goodness for cell phones!! I would have missed the slot just cancelled by a previous patient), and called Dr. Bobby. They got me in today at 8:00 a.m. That's a horrid time for a dental appointment! First thing in the morning----a way to start the day.
The receptionist said (when I called) that Dr. Bobby wouldn't have time to do much more than look at it and put some temporary filler in. Which suited me just fine. I have to work up to getting the numbing stick and the drilling that goes along with it.
But at 8:00 a.m. this morning they had time to do it. OMG -- I wasn't psyched up for this. I could feel my heart racing and my stomach churning!!! Dr. Bobby asked if I wanted gas. ABSOLUTELY!!! And lots of it!!! Turn it on full blast and come back in an hour!!! Float me away long before you touch my lips!!!
Anywh0--I am now a "crowned" lady. Well, a temporary lady actually! I love crowns and queenly things, but this was not the type I envisioned. I'd rather spend my monthly wages on a tiara that doesn't have to be viewed with open mouth!!! I'd rather spend that money on Christmas toys!!! But that isn't the way it's to be this month!!! I have now invested more in my mouth than in my IRA ( cause I don't have an IRA--ha ha ha).
Just thought I'd update you on what a fun 2 1/2 hours I had this morning. And really---I wouldn't recommend this fun for anyone out there looking for fun!!!
Have a good evening-----

1 comment:

Carol said...

Bless your heart! I can empathize with you, I was in the dentist chair Tuesday getting a tooth pulled. :O( Hey, I've been reading your blog for several weeks now,found you on my cousin Chery's blog. I admire you for starting your catering business, you must have unlimited energy! Hope you have a great day!
Carol