Tuesday, May 27, 2008

NO TV---WHAT ??????


We lost our cable connection!!!! It's been off & on since Friday evening. Saturday we watched Talledega Nights in desperation. It came back on, and then Sunday we lost it again! So we watched Volunteers in desperation. Yea, I know, we have no good movies in the house! Although, Ricky Bobby does bring some laughs. Come on, he really does! Who else prays to 8 lb 6oz baby Jesus---(forgive me for laughing through that one dear Lord).
And, I am off this week, and nothing spurs my housekeeping energy more than hearing the drone of the TV in the background. When it's tuned to HGTV I get all inspired, and begin rearranging furniture. When Food Network is on, I begin cooking. And when I Love Lucy is on, well, the day is free range! Now I have nothing but the CD player (which I have to change each hour or so, along with finding inspiring music) and the radio station. It gets pretty challenging talking back to those DJs.
So, here I am, talking to my bloggie friends. With music playing in the background. I'm thinking of tuning into a "foreign" station, and trying to decipher the meaning!!!
I did have one "literary" moment last night. I read Vanity Fair---the article about Bobby Kennedy. You know, I was 13 when he was killed, was 8 when JFK was killed, so I don't have alot of "internal background" on those times. Textbook authors didn't have time to disect the history by the time I got into high school or juco. So there is so much I didn't realize about those times. Or maybe I was too interested in "Letting The Sunshine In"--- "Hair". Somehow so much escaped my memory. Like the fact that LBJ HATED Bobby. And didn't even like JFK. And that Mitt Romney's dad was governor of Michigan. I feel so stupid!!! I wasn't aware that Ted Kennedy didn't want his brother to run for president. Or that Bobby was such a looser at public speaking--interviewing--carrying on conversations. Or that alot of Ethel's push for the presidency could have been her jealousy of Jackie! It's a good article, and now I want to read the book. Although, it's going to burst my bubble. In my childish mind, I liked Bobby and thought everyone else did too. They were quite taken with his funeral after all! And he had all those kids. And Hickory Hill.
Sometimes I think it's too much for the "people" to know everything about the leaders. We become calloused to politics, to authority, and, please, please, don't point out all of Washington, Lincoln and Jefferson's shortcomings. I need SOME heroes! We need someone to be leading us for the right reasons!
Ok, don't send me snippets cause of my historical ignorance. I did take Oklahoma History in college & made a 4.0 thank you very much. And took American History 1776-1865 with another 4.0. So I do know SOMETHING!!! It's just current history (what's wrong with that statement!!!), I don't latch onto. My brain is full and small.
Can you tell I don't have any noise in the background, and that I don't have a schedule to which to adhere????? Ok, I'm signing off for now, I have a cake to decorate.
But I'll be back (in the words of the Governor of California!!!).
Have a great morning........

1 comment:

Kari (GrannySkywalker) said...

HGTV used to inspire me, too! Now they put on too many shows highlighting houses I could never hope to afford. lol

I'm always shocked about "recent history" (yeah...oxymoron??), too. Some things that I learn just leave me shattered. I knew that Bobby and LBJ hated one another, though. And I knew that Bobby would target certain people and do everything in his power - whether right or wrong - to bring them down. I prefer to think of our American Leaders as being strong, righteous and always on the side of the angels. Hurts my feelings when I find out they're not. lol

Hope your cable has returned by now. Nothing makes you want to watch a tv show more than knowing you can't.

Kari