Tuesday, April 1, 2008

OVERLOAD!!

Visualize mountain stream, flowing slowly, steadily down the river bed. Hear the trickling of the water. Feel the cool breeze wafting across the face. Deep breath of fresh air--breathe in, breathe out. Breathe in, breathe out.


I just read my BFF, Penny the Queen's, post, and I am so totally understanding of her fatigue. She & I both have empty nest lodging, and I think therefore, feel compelled to continue in the mad pace that we learned from working , running the household, and raising children. We also have this unbearable need to create, to nuture, to "fix" life, and not just for ourselves, but for the vast population we encounter. We must "create" items to make their lives easier, more glamourous; we must meet their needs, whether those needs be material, spiritual, emotional, and such.


And so, we continue in this mad pace---working at the jobs that meet the obligations, running the household as if there were an award ceremony in the future, saying "yes I can!" to each and every notion we encounter along the way. After all, isn't our worth tied to what we can produce? Aren't we judged by the cleanliness of our homes, the deliciousness of our tables, the awe of the work of our hands, the answers we provide to our families????? We're going to end up like Little Sambo's tiger--turned into butter cause we've chased our tails round and round the tree!


So, BFF, I have always had this song playing in the back of my mind. I remember watching the Barbra Streisand remake of "A Star Is Born" and coming away ONLY remembering the impact THIS SONG had on me. I ran and bought the soundtrack for the movie JUST so I could listen to this song, repeatedly, which I did for month on end after the movie. I would play it, replay it, replay it, and on and on. It was the story of my life. It best described my purpose. It explained the "whys" of all that I do. So BFF, here it is for you. And for all the others afflicted by this "purpose driven life" (Sorry Rick Warren--but that is the best title I can come up with!!!)


I want to learn what life is for
I don't want much, I just want more
Ask what I want and I will sing
I want everything, everything

I'd cure the cold and the traffic jam

If there were floods, I'd give a dam

I'd never sleep, I only sing

Let me do everything, everything

I'd like to plan a city, play the cello

Play at Monte Carlo, play Othello

Move into the white house, paint it yellow

Speak Portugese and Dutch

And if it's not too much

I'd like to have the perfect twin

One who'd go out as I came in

I've got to grab the big brass ring

So I'll have everything, everything

I'm like a child who's been set free

At the fun fair , every ride invites me

Saying that I only

Get my share

Doesn't seem fair

I could live as I must

If they would just

Give me the time to turn a tide

Give me the truth if once I lied

Give me the man who's gonna bring

More of everything

Then I'd have everything, everything

Ok, now I don't know HOW I hit the key that did that funky spacing thing, and I don't know if it will show in the post--it does right now and it's weird!! If you have to read this with all those extra spaces, sorry!

But really, doesn't that sound like us BFF? We don't even have time to see each other once in a while, just two doors down. We don't have time to run to Target and ooo and ahhh. We've let ourselves go so we can have everything, and guess what--we've lost us!!!

Deep stuff, huh?

All together now----deep breath, cool mountain stream,

Oh heck, I'm going to bed!!!

2 comments:

tommie said...

you two need to stop and just do a girls' day...go get a pedi, catch up and slow down...Much easier said than done.

nene P said...

Ok, make me cry right here in front of the children that are dutifully working on there comprehension activity. Im checking my blog stuff... because I have so much stuff to do tonight!

But Little Black Sambo will slow down sometime~