Monday, November 17, 2008

On The Menu: Turkey!


It's the calm before the storm! Today was mellow--tomorrow begins the "cooking of the turkeys"---I have 120 lbs to bake for the church dinner Wednesday, and 160 lbs to bake for lunch deliveries on Friday. Not to mention pumpkin pie for 140, along with dressing, taters & gravy, cranberry salad--all for the church dinner. Friday deliveries include ham, dressing, taters & gravy for 180! AND--the orders for pies have begun. Think perhaps I'd like to have pizza for Thanksgiving dinner???? Not going to happen--we tend to be verrry traditional when it comes to Thanksgiving dinner.
Hey--I have a request--my son in law is sitting in the ER as I write, waiting with his records to see what the verdict will be on his hand. You see, he has contracted staph infection in his hand (one of the benefits of his in hospital nursing training), and after multiple rounds of antibiotics, and having the area lanced & packed with antibiotic, his hand still isn't looking as well as they would like. So he has been sent to the ER to see if IV antibiotics are required, and to see if the infection has attacked the joint of his finger. So--all this to say--please say a prayer for him. I wish there was something I could do to help them get through this quickly, but ERs being what they are, well, he's been waiting for 6 hours now. About the time he's up for the "next room" an ambulance arrives with a priority patient! Anyway, keep him in your thoughts.
Now, about Thanksgiving--I'm thankful he isn't one of those "priority" patients; I'm thankful he's no longer in Iraq; I'm thankful for the beautiful young lady my son is seeing; I'm thankful I'm able to work at my "dream" job; I'm thankful for family close by; I'm thankful that I am living in a nation of freedom--I can write what I want, say what I choose, go where I like; I'm thankful the election is OVER!!! I'm thankful for my dear friends--you know who you are--and I treasure you!!! I'm thankful to have blessings too great to list!
And, I'm thankful that now I can go and recline on my comfy sofa, with a blanket thrown over, my cat by my side, and feel content, safe and happy!
Have a good week!

2 comments:

tommie said...

Hey! I hope your son finally got seen and is on the path to a healed hand.

Tracey said...

Man, are you a busy woman. Don't you get stressed out. We passed out Thanskgiving baskets with our church to 2,000 families in Detroit. We didn't cook the food, but put the baskets together and then had to deliver them. We have a huge church so we had plenty of help, but boy did you ever do a lot. You will be blessed for all your hard work. Have a happy Holiday season.